Game Notes ARI vs EDM
Edmonton Oilers (Head Coach: Todd McLellan) at Arizona Coyotes (Head Coach: Dave Tippett)
NHL Game #494, Gila River Arena, 2016-12-21 07:30:00PM (GMT -0700)
Referees: Not given – they’ve stopped giving the refs in the game feeds the last few games. Think that’s a coincidence as fan anger over incompetent and biased officiating seems to be growing? I’m thinking … no.
Linesmen: Not given
Three Stars: Mark Letestu; Matt Hendricks; Martin Hanzal; the refs didn’t get a star because the Yotes lost
- I almost called this post-game ‘F**K YOU REFS’ … it’s even money if I go back and change it!
- You know, I could just replace my entire post-game commentary with GIFs of terrible calls/non-calls this game. But there’s no point – this level of refereeing is only slightly worse than par for the course when the Oilers play the Coyotes. Been that way (by my eye) for a while. Make of it what you will.
- Other than that, this was a character win for the Oilers on the road playing a team that’s had their number – defeating (yet again) both a team and a ref.
- The raw fancies suggest the Yotes were better 5v5, but you can see from the gameflow and the score adjusted number (SACF%) that it was all score effects – and refs – once the Oilers were ahead. The Oilers were the better team for the majority of the game and deserved the win.
- Well done. That’s all I’m going to say. Well done.
Game at a Glance
- Matt Hendricks, Milan Lucic, Mark Letestu each had 1 goal
- Milan Lucic blasted 4 shots on goal
- Andrej Sekera, Milan Lucic each put 5 shot attempts at goal
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was the faceoff champ at 61.5% (8-5)
- Jesse Puljujarvi led the team in on-ice 5v5 shot attempts at 60.0% (3-2)
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins trailed the team in 5v5 on-ice shot attempts at 30.0% (6-14)
- Eric Gryba was the big hitter with 6
|ARI||Oliver Ekman-Larsson||3||19:53||EV||Not given||0.0 <- what??||NaN <- a distance of 0 breaks my scripts!|
Who Won the 5v5 Shot Battle?
|Which Battle||Who Won||By How Much|
|Shots||EDM||19 to 18 (51.4%)|
|Average Shot Distance Against (ft)||EDM||39 to 30 – this is quite a surprising difference|
|Corsi||ARI||44 to 37 (54.3%)|
|Score & Venue Adjusted Corsi||EDM||43 to 38 (52.7%)|
|Fenwick||ARI||32 to 27 (54.2%)|
|Dangerous Fenwick||ARI||32 to 27 (53.6%)|
How the Players Did (On Ice Shot Attempts)
Forwards are sorted by decreasing CF%. Defensemen and pairs sorted by increasing DFA60. Forward lines by decreasing DFF%. Positions are as listed by the NHL roster page, not necessarily where they played.
|Hendrix Kassian Letestube||08:54||12||14||46.2||53.7||44.4||61.2|
|D. Caggiula Poo Pulju||04:53||2||2||50||58.3||50||57.5|
|Eberle Looch McDavid||12:56||9||10||47.4||54||56.2||50.1|
|Maroon Drai Nuge||08:28||6||12||33.3||39.7||28.6||19.5|
Defense Pairings – Shots Given Up
Forward Lines – Shots Taken
Head to Head
NHL Media Highlights
Click the link to play the associated highlight video