- Just because it worked the last two times doesn’t mean you should count on a big comeback as a winning long-term strategy. Leave that thought process for the Flames.
- It’s easy to scapegoat the guys who were responsible for mistakes that resulted in goals, but the whole team was making stupid gaffes all over the ice. Even Taylor Hall was really not good, and McDavid – except for that one magic rush – was ineffectual.
- The Oilers were either sleepy (the game took place during what would likely be their morning post-practice nap), hung over (the Montreal nightlife kind of sucks you in … the players think “hey, we’ll just go grab a beer and check out the babes” and eight hours later …), or maybe even still drunk. Pure conjecture, but … you know … sometimes when there’s an obvious explanation, you gotta go with it.
- Check out the gameflows. The Yak/Zak/Mak line got torched to an extent I’m not sure I can recall before. Just destroyed. Davidson had a weirdly bad game, while Gryba (by the numbers) had a weirdly good game.
- Today’s referees were notorious Oiler-killer Tim Peel, and Francois St. Laurent of Longueil. Longueil is 10km from downtown Montreal, which means it’s a, you know, completely different place. So I’m certain he acted as an objective counterweight to Peel, which explains the high quality reffing today. Non?
Game at a Glance
Ouch. That’s as ugly as it gets.
I stand corrected.
|CF%||SACF%||FF%||DFF%||SF%||Avg Dist F||Avg Dist A||RelDist%||GF%|
|SF||SA||SF%||DIST F||DIST A||REB F||REB A|
|For||10 / 41.2||5 / 62.6||1 / 41.0||3 / 10.3||–||–||–|
|Against||19 / 35.7||4 / 61.8||1 / 34.0||6 / 23.0||1 / 9.0||–||–|
|For||11 / 39.5||6 / 60.8||2 / 54.5||4 / 10.5||1 / 9.0||–||–|
|Against||22 / 34.5||5 / 51.2||1 / 34.0||7 / 21.1||1 / 9.0||–||–|
Every defenseman was below average, except … Eric Gryba? Say what? Davidson with an uncharacteristically terrible game – on par with one J. Schultz.
The pairs data deviates quite a bit from the player data, which tells you that TMc had his blender going for the pairs.
The McDavid and Hall lines were good at creating, but couldn’t really cash. The Yak/Zak/Mak Attack line got absolutely torched. Not sure I can remember a performance this bad by a line that didn’t have Korpikoski on it.
|D. Nurse E. Gryba||02:35||02:35||0||0||0||0||0|
|E. Gryba B. Davidson||16:17||13:44||4||4.4||19.2||27||1.09|
|J. Schultz D. Nurse||12:44||11:53||5||4.7||23.7||49.4||0.93|
|A. Sekera M. Fayne||11:59||11:43||10||6.7||34.3||44.7||0.67|
Head to Head